Lack of access to electricity manifest the following problems
- Severely constrains the economic development of rural areas.
- Prevents the establishment of businesses that require electric power.
- Forces companies to buy diesel or petrol generators that are costly to operate and negatively impact the environment.
- Job creation is seriously constrained by the lack of adequate investment in the provision of rural infrastructure services.
- Lack of electricity also prevents access to information and communication technologies (e.g. mobile phones, computers, internet).
- The quality of rural life is also negatively hampered